Monday, February 8, 2016

yo girl is in a movie//kind of\\

Hey y'all.

If you know me, you may have heard me talk about the Adam & Nick Show.

This was a little creation/experiment that a childhood friend, my brother, and I jumped into when we were all around 10 years old. Using my handheld, We recorded variety shows and music videos; if i can recall any off the top of my head, it's a solemn and try-not-to-burst-your-ribs-laughing visual interpretation of Taylor Swift's "Teardrops on My Guitar":

it looked like this, except my brother was doing it.

And, for the holiday season, a stuff-your-shirt-with-pillows-to-look-like-santa-claus-(and,-also,-wear-a-santa-hat) celebration with Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You":

AND IIIIII.........

At the final collection of footage (which usually happened every Monday, as that was a day we could agree on for playdates and ordering Chinese food), I would upload the clips onto Windows Movie Maker, manipulate them, and present the final products to our babysitters and parents.

MY MOVIE. viewers were very supportive.

I think that working with people who had the will to "make movies" on Mondays for no apparent reason allowed me to experiment with my interest in syncing visuals and audio–creating little microcosms of life with some sense of ownership. Without working with Adam & Nick, even when we were 10, I feel I wouldn't have the same enthusiasm for film, photography, and music; I would have less of a perception of control over the process, and, more importantly, I wouldn't have the childhood story (that seems a faithful rationale of why I like making movies so much).

I wish I still had those tapes.

SO, this teamwork thing. Working with people to work towards your own visions. Blending your own visions with others' own visions to synthesize something more

Well, last summer, I searched Craigslist for people who were interested in making films. Even though Craigslist has garnered a bad rep for some, every experience I've had with the site has been positive: finding jobs, collaborating with artists–it's all led to good things. Of course, one must be careful. Don't go meeting contacts over Craigslist in alleyways.

That someone I found over Craigslist (who I DIDN'T meet in an alleyway, mind you) goes by the name of Walter Glass. I read his ad, watched some of his films, and really enjoyed his work. After meeting (in a coffee shop), we decided to work together, and are looking forward to future projects.

Without further sentimental delay, check out this short film, shot, directed, edited, and conceived by Walter Glass, and assisted along the way by yours truly, Sarah Simon. Let me know what you think:



No comments:

Post a Comment