Thursday, October 8, 2015

do your little bit//not food related\\a definitely food-related challenge

"Do your little bit of good wherever you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world." ~Desmond Tutu

Can you tell I copy and pasted the above from a PowerPoint>

Well. I'm going to do my little bit of good right now. 

And it's funny what we decide to be "good"; the term is subjective, left to contingencies, spliced on situational dependencies.


Can you think of something that seems to be "good" in your life right now that, at other times, hasn't been so good?

coats, for instance.

Because I began this thing with claims that it was and would forever be a food blog, for the first time in a battery of posts, I'm going to be discussing food.

Here's an instance I can picture now, where the "good" is entirely reliant on disposition or situation. Look at this:


This is my left hand, holding a jar of cashew butter in a health food store. My right hand is busy documenting what my left hand is doing.

In my opinion then, and in my opinion now, this jar of cashew butter is good. But what if I was severely allergic to cashews? Or take this:


A turkey, stuffed to the brim by my father (whose hand I physically impeded from additional stuffing action). This image, while it was taken, reflected something I thought was good. Half an hour later, a picture of food was the last thing I wished to see. 

One last one, not food related:

or I hope you don't consider it food related. That's not good.


When posing for this high school prom picture, I didn't consider the act particularly good or bad. I remember feeling a dullness that I thought should resemble excitement.


Now, I look back on prom and I think it was pretty good.


Anyway, speaking of good. I hope my ostensible displays of culinary mediocrity will inspire a little somethin' in your kitchen.


make it good.

Credit for this pie goes to Mehdi, who made it without following a recipe.

And so I challenge you. Make a pie. Don't measure anything.

See how it turns out.

Maybe your expression will resemble his.

No comments:

Post a Comment