Thursday, September 3, 2015

murakami//orion's belt//flour to baking powder ratio

"Every great work of literature must at least allude to that great unknown, the meaning of life."

The above quote is taken from the great Book Slut site.

Haruki Murakami has been lauded as a contemporary narrational genius. His story telling abilities are in themselves, paradoxical; he interweaves symbol after sign in his aptly-named Chronicles, yet manages simplicity, an aura of uncomplicated-ness floating above roaring unknowns. 

After my introduction to Murakami and his work, through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, I am fine setting down the thick volume without understanding plot specifics. I am fine with convolution. 

Reading his work is like watching water without knowing why or how it runs. 


Wind-Up Bird does, on many occasions, hint "to the great unknown," which I often enjoy. I like alluding to things that we know are they but can't say. Murakami must say something, though; he is writing a book. In turn, he fills an upwards of 600 pages with uncomplicated language. He tells of a man who cooks pasta.

The unimportance is the urgency here; Book Slut writes, "You’ll never take for granted the ordinariness of spaghetti or your wife’s cat ever again."

Anyway, I recommend Murakami like it was recommended to me. Setting its meaning in context, Wind-Up demonstrates the influence of globalization on modern literature. There are references to Allen Ginsberg, for water's sake. 

I feel like I just cracked a joke about the plot line but still am unsure if that makes sense because, again, water is a symbol for something but I'm not quite sure what.

Murakami apparently doesn't plan out his stories, and lets his writing guide the story. Through the vignettes and history lessons, he still retains some sense of order. Like water.

And now I am thinking of Tinder.

I tried it out this summer.

IT IS SO FUNNY how two worlds just know something and spell it out in provocations.


What do we pick up on that carries two individuals through a conversation? You could say words.

Like the order of things, this tide of Tinder buzzes is obviously leading somewhere. But I never met the guy who orchestrated the gray bubble; I just wanted this to go at the time I was feeling it could and even that it should so it did because I let it.

The order of things.

By the way, for every pound of flour, add a TSP of baking powder and 1/4 TSP of salt for tasteful leavening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment