Monday, June 8, 2015

Prague Blague//where is the ground

Marking my last two weeks in Prague, this blog will now function as a travel journal.

"Prague Blog"
"Prague Blague" 

lo and behold, apparently "Blague" is a word: 



 seems fitting.

We visited the Astronomical Clock Tower today, which is part of the Klementinum, one of the largest building complexes in Europe (built on an area of approximately 2 hectares...imagine 2 football fields). 

A brochure acknowledges "generations of famous architects, sculptors, and painters" who "participated in the constructions of Klementinum."

In addition to the Astronomical Clock Tower--completed in 1722, largely used by Jesuit scholars for astronomical observations--the Klementium houses the Mirror Chapel and Baroque Library Hall.

Simply put, the Klementinum symbolizes classical and religious education, brought to Prague by founders of the Czech Jesuit province including Petr Canisius and the philosopher Arraga.

The Tower, according to the brochure, "was used for astronomical observations until the 1930s." In its more than two centuries of active use, scholars developed tools, such as sextants, or instruments used for measuring angular distances between objects. Our guide points to one of these sophisticated mechanisms:



A "visit to the historical Klementinum chambers," the brochure lauds, "is crowned by a magnificent view of Prague." Here's one:

aaand here's this, taken in the Klementinum, and added because I dig the decor:



"Prague Blague." hmmm. I have always wanted to be a travel journalist. Here I go. 

From an astronomical clock tower, I dug into some grounded thought: today, I decided I will learn Czech--mostly because I admire what I've experienced of the culture and people so much that I may someday try to seek a life here.

Rosetta Stone software? I've seen you in commercials.

(For more photos, Czech out my Flickr, Instagram, and Foap accounts:

www.flickr.com/seasphotography

ssimon8 on Instagram

sarah.simon on Foap: https://foap.com/users/sarah.simon )

No comments:

Post a Comment